17 October 2010

Musically Deprived Type A



The language thing is seriously starting to depress me. I'm always confused on the basketball court. And it's profoundly affecting my game. I'm really good at owning up on the court if I know exactly what to do and what my teammates expect from me, but communication is such a huge obstacle. I know a few court phrases and terms while every other word and coherent sentence zooms past me in chunks of fury. I can't understand what's being said to me at crucial moments which today resulted in Andrea's very few minutes of game time. I'm starting to hate how slow the learning process is. But learning two languages on top of studying subjects like physical and inorganic chemistry? While at the same time, adjusting to a new culture, trying to stay fit, finding your footing in student societies, and searching for a place you belong?

Today's match results were dreary: Poly U won with 7x - 1x. I don't mind actually... It's funny - for the most part of my life, I've been at nerd schools where athletics aren't highly promoted and I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's like how guys playing basketball or volleyball or running track catch my attention but how a guy could only be attractive to me if they were very intelligent - and not just academically. I'd never trade intellect for athleticism. Anyway, since I didn't get a lot of playing time, I felt like I wasted a day of studying before midterms and it didn't feel all that relaxing. But at least I got this pretty picture of a butterfly? moth? ... bug. Such beauties are hard to find in California.

At home, if I had an urge to pick up a guitar, look up some chords, and strum a tune, I had the wonderful liberty to. Today, Old Faithful, Yamaha, and Takamine are 7,000 miles away from me. I miss them. It's like there's this big gaping cavern in my soul that just can't be filled by upbeat acoustic songs in my music player, even if that music player was a gift from Hieu and my friends. I don't have any clue what kind of crazy train of thought freak of an accident I had that convinced me that I didn't need to bring a medium for musical outlet. Sigh. I'm not even that good at guitar. But it does kill me that I could be learning songs to get better. I neeeed stress relief NAO.

Dear Hippocampus,

I know that you don't like stress hormones. I know that you will shrink if you receive more cortisol. I'm so very sorry. I'll try to be more of a Type B personality. It doesn't seem very hard, I guess. I hope you'll put up with me through these trying times. Please don't make me stupid or unable to remember things by becoming smaller as I age. I need my cognitive abilities! Also, pleeeeaaaaase help me learn Cantonese faster.

Kthxbye!

P.S. I do care about you! I am trying to consume more Vitamin E and A and omega-3 fatty acids. Also, I exercise the recommended amount each week. My resources are limited, but I make due!

1 comment:

  1. Can you recommend some good upbeat acoustic songs!?!?

    ReplyDelete