24 October 2010

Liberation from Facebook

I never realized how sinister Facebook truly was.
Until I stopped logging on and checking it every fifteen minutes.
Suddenly I have more time for things. Suddenly I have the motivation to cut down my 1600m time. Suddenly my mind is more focused when I study.

It's weird how I came to depend on Facebook so much. Not only for social networking but for self-esteem, for a cure to boredom centered around stalking people, and for painting an image for myself not backed by actions. It wasn't an addiction, no I was never at that level. But it's something I could definitely learn to live without. Granted, Facebook is a way to maintain some of my more meaningful relationships but more often than not, it turns into the only way I choose for maintenance. And it certainly is no way to develop meaningful relationships.

Anyway, I'm truthfully having feelings of withdrawal and it's pretty pitiful when I automatically input the "facebook.com" URL only to remember I can't even log on. But like all kinds of therapy, my cure from technology dependence is going to take some time.

Technology can change a lot of things. Including our ability to form meaningful relationships with people. Like how people text instead of make phone calls, email instead of write, phone instead of see each other in person, network instead of make friends. On the flip side, like all two-edged swords, used in the right way, technology can make bonds so much stronger.

Notwithstanding - living without Facebook is actually a pretty fun challenge. And now time for some endorsement! (Yeah right, as if anyone reads this.). Two videos from Wong Fu Production's series, Technology Ruins Romance. They also did a series in Hong Kong, so check them out. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment