11 May 2012

Choice encounters and old friends

“We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.”
I think it's a blessing to know what you want from life and to have the courage to chase after it. That's why I think you should never discourage a young student from being headstrong or persistent. You should always tell them to look for their passion and think, really think, about the things that motivate you. As cliche as it is, you have to look deep inside yourself and discover your personal destiny.

Today, I had a "choice encounter" with an old friend. We used to have this informal club in high school where if we were awake at 4AM on AIM, we would have spontaneous and meaningful conversations about life.

I sent him an email and asked if he was planning on visiting HK any time soon since we had talked about it before and I was going to be here for the summer. Somehow each time we talk, it's always a meaningful conversation. We exchange brief life updates on where we're going, what we've done, what our current goals are, and after that moment in time, we continue on our way.

I like this kind of friendship. I never feel like we're at odds with each other even if we only talk to each other every couple of months. It makes me believe that in this world, each and every one of us is on their own personal journey--and its a synergy and a comradeship that develops between the people you meet along the way that inspire you to keep chasing after what you want.

We talked briefly about an intuitive knowing of where we'll be in the next few years. I said I'd be in Chicago in the next 1-2 years. It slipped out even though I am usually cautious about being overly confident. We'll see. Life will drop me off in a good place in two years. It may not be exactly what I imagined, but maybe it will be exactly what I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment