05 November 2011

HKUST A-Meet 2011

Every year, HKUST holds an annual athletics meet between the departments of the university. I represented CBME (Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering) this year and I had a blast!

The day started off pretty rough. That day, all the events started about an hour late; pushing the rest of the schedule to an hour's delay. Worse, they didn't accept any other form of identification except for student ID cards, and being the silly goose that I am, I had lost mine in the laundry room earlier that week. In a last ditch effort to find my ID, I ran all the way back to Hall VI to ask the hall office if anyone had picked it up yet. Thankfully, it was turned in the previous night and I ran all the way back to the long jump pit to claim my competing rights.

Number 123!

Long Jump: The truth is, I haven't been able to long jump since high school; at least not to the standard I'm used to. And I was not up to standard with my previous self. But I got Women's Champion for Long Jump!

400m Heat: I ran in the first heat for 400m and placed first. Felt good and I felt like I still had energy. Maybe my trainings need to be more intensive from this point onward. I was positioned first seed in the finals.

Cheering for the people I knew!: In between it all, I met some pretty cool people and was able to make a few more friends which made me pretty happy. Bringing back memories of high school (mainly Crystal Ho and her inspirational ways of motivating people during runs); I sought to carry on that tradition. Dennis, Steven, Edison were amazing during their 5K. Jessica was also incredible; championing 800m and 1500m. I'm sad I couldn't watch everyone's events but a high school nostalgia was definitely still there.

400m Finals: Only 4 of the 8 competitors showed up for the final heat. To my disappointment, Patricia disappeared. She had seeded 0.4 seconds away from me and I was looking forward to a bit of competition. In the end, I was pretty happy with my results, reaching 70 seconds without spike shoes, and still feeling energetic afterwards. Women's Champion in the 400m!


Not long after my finals heat, I had to check in for the 4x100m relay.

4x100m relay: CBME WON! That was a big surprise for me. Our hand-offs were perfect even though we didn't practice and we dominated in a champion sense. Anchoring for the team... I was so happy!! Awesome Winnie, Zoe, and Jessica for their excellent hand-offs. Champion in 4x100m relay :).

Immediately afterwards,

4x400m relay: Hand-offs were good but CIVIL had a big advantage; we were far in second place after the second runner. It was alright though because we maintained it and we got 1st Runner Up in 4x400m relay!


10x200m mass relay: Represented Track and Field in a fun mass relay. Loads of fun! I love the track team <3


Later, we went to go out eat where the Women's Overall Champion (my roomie!) treated eight people to dinner in an italian restaurant in Hang Hau. Cheap and good food and one of the rare places in HK you can get "free refills."







Overall, a fun and memorable day! :) More pictures to be shared later~

No comments:

Post a Comment