09 March 2011

The 50th USFHK Athletics Meet


Last Sunday, March 6, I represented HKUST at the 50th USFHK Athletics Meet, an annual inter-university competition in track and field events. Thanks to the two coaches, Willie and Ricky, and the team leaders, it was an amazing experience. That's in spite of the fact that UST is overall infamous for its poor performance in athletics. Apparently, the other universities promote their sports teams with scholarship offers and admission schemes whereas HKUST has yet to develop their sports promotion programs. These facts didn't dishearten any of my teammates. On the contrary, we were lucky that we were there just to have fun.

Joining Track and Field two weeks before this meet was a scary thing. I knew I wouldn't be as fit as my high school days (in fact, I'm 5~6 seconds slower than my average time at Oxford) but now it's a decision that I don't regret (thanks to MY^^, basketball teammate).

Running the 400m, being the first runner for the 4x400m relay, and cheering on teammates reminded me of the reason why I love doing sports. It brought me back to the days when I ran track in high school--all the memories, the laughs, and the support we would give each other. Some teammates in particular really encouraged me: CY, Jessica, Winnie, Cammy, and Joel (from France).

To me, your relationship between you and your teammates is a pure form of friendship and camaraderie. Unlike other settings, like the classroom, you don't run the risk of stagnant acquaintanceship. The team setting is a place where people, it doesn't matter what your background, can connect through a common ground. Whether it's basketball, korfball, or athletics team members, I have found people I am consistently happy to pass by on campus. I guess it's working towards that common goal and the hours of training you put in together, grueling and toiling together and especially being happy together. At the same time, we get to be fit and work out, too!

I can breathe a sigh of relief now that it's over, though. I have to focus on school @_@

No comments:

Post a Comment