24 November 2010

Access to Healthcare

I hurt my knee again. It's probably the one hundredth time since the original injury playing basketball. Funny that this knee problem is the one thing that has followed me since a year and a half ago. It was a totally stressful and annoying day accompanied by a guy whose sole purpose in life seemed aimed at making mine a living a hell. That's over. But every time I hurt it, it takes a day or two to recover. Pretty quick, if you ask me. At least I can play sports regularly. But it's not a very positive indication for my long-term health.

Anyway, I feel sad most of the time because I refuse to see a doctor. MRI's and X-rays galore to determine the extent of damage to my ACL and medial meniscus. If I want to play sports with less of a fear for reinjury, then I'd need surgery. After that, physical therapy. The doctors paid by the U.S. government also don't care very much for their patients... leaving personalized healthcare something to be desired. The bills won't stop if I pursue treatment. So, I put it off because my parents don't need that burden right now. Sadly the question becomes: what happens in the future when I get diagnosed with arthritis because of constant reinjury? Healthcare costs will pile up and the cure will not be as simple as surgery. But maybe, at least, I'll be able to afford my own insurance by then.

My fear of seeking healthcare is not a unique plight. Thousands of people won't seek medical treatment because of unreasonably high medical costs. But on this issue, there are thousands of people who won't seek medical treatment as a direct result of low education levels and socioeconomic status. Some simply don't know what resources are available to them and what can be done for their medical problems. They're afraid of the costs, they live in neglected neighborhoods, their children are accustomed to a lower quality of life. Treatments used for the general public sometimes are not as effective for minority populations. We are all different, after all, and respond to medical treatment differently.

Incidentally, there is a wealth of therapeutic and medicinal knowledge available, but so many groups of people are left uncared for. People need to be educated, healthcare costs need to be lowered, and minority treatment research needs to increase.

No comments:

Post a Comment