16 April 2013

Remembering Boston

Maybe it's because running represents so much to me and has always been close to my heart. Maybe it's because I've been a long time Boston fan or because I have friends in and from Boston and one of them in Boston is also into running. Maybe I'm just really sensitive.

I read about the Boston Marathon while I was in class and it just brought tears to my eyes. Marathons are supposed to represent something about the human endeavor, human endurance, and strength. In Boston especially, I feel, it's about true grit and going the distance (read: Celtics). To imagine myself even running the race, let alone witnessing an explosion... I was paralyzed. Running in Boston would have been entirely possible for me in the future and I might have just finished in 4 hours...

I don't know why anyone would do this and I don't have anything profound to say. Just that I'm sad. I'm sad and I feel so incapacitated. Like there's nothing I can do for the world. I have no monetary assets or the physical capacity to go to Boston and help.

Who would do such a thing? I don't know but I concur with those who say that this is not just an attack on America, but an attack on all nations. Nevermind that it was on Patriot's Day... it was still horrible for everyone around the world. It is an attack on humanity and its endurance and strength. The Boston Marathon, like the Standard Chartered, is a global event that invites the best runners from all different nations. It was also an attack on all runners who see running as a metaphor for their own life. Did you know that the Boston Marathon is the world's oldest annual marathon? Do think of those runners who trained through so many months and have all of that culminate into two horrific explosions meant to take lives? They were supposed to be champions in their own mind--believing that they can do anything and overcome human obstacles. Instead, they find tragedy.It makes me mad and disgusted at anyone who would do this. What did the world ever do to you? Do you not believe in humanity? It's just hard for me to believe such people/groups exist. And yet, they've always been around. With different motives, backgrounds, anything I might have to think of that would mitigate the poison of hate I might feel.

If anything, the sole beacon of hope that comes from this is realizing just how much you need to treasure those you hold dear. All I can do is pray. All I know is that my duty now is to be that world citizen I aspire to be. And to do my best in my endeavors so that somehow I'll make positive differences wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment