01 February 2011

College Girls

I have to say something I thought about while doing laundry.

Girls go through so much trouble just to attract the attention of men. In college, especially, there's so much freedom to dress up. Scanty, scandalous, cutesy, over-accessorize--all of these things--just to go to class or go out with friends. Dressing up for attention has become a sort of casual thing.

I guess it's understandable. From a biological ecology perspective, the mating competition is fierce. It's not only genetics which play a part in attracting men. It's not only personality which keeps them. It's upkeep and superficial primping. Make-up has altered the culture from square one so I guess it's in the nature of survival... the nature of biology. And we fall for it. I'll admit I've turned my head once or twice because some guy did his hair nicely that day. It's just how we get attention and, believe it or not, I think that superficial appearances is and always be of some importance in this world.

But it's sad how drawing an image can consume a person and distract them from the upkeep of a personality. And by upkeep, I mean maintaining virtue, integrity, humor, wit, intelligence, etc.--the silent things that you can't genuinely read or understand without really getting to know a person. If you keep working on how beautiful you look on the outside, you might never pay attention to making yourself beautiful on the inside. It can even go vice versa. Best to strike a balance that fits you. Most people can but I think a lot of us fall prey to society's tricks in late high school and college years.

I think I might offend some guys if they read this (well, I don't have a big following anyway, so I guess there's no need to have a disclaimer). But I think some girls need to tone it down a little. Stop trying so hard to get attention. And maybe some guys should stop being so preoccupied with their own search for girl-attention as well. Lastly, everyone should take more time to get to know a person's personality. For [a rather extreme] example, there is a girl at HKUST infamous for her ridiculous outfits on a daily basis (I've yet to see her). In doing so, many guys and girls become preoccupied with criticizing or being attracted to her choice of style (yet here I am being a critic). Not only that, I'm sure her personality has suffered negligence by her preoccupance with trying to look like that every day. I can't say that for 100% certain because she might actually have a pleasant personality... on the inside.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that we should all stop being so confusing to each other. It's just a preference of mine, but I like my guys honest and unassuming. Quiet and shy, so I can get to know him bit by bit. And of course, he has to be a bit of a secret romantic. (Wow, I'm pretty lucky. I think I know just the guy! <3)

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more, and you have no idea how much my friends and I think that girls around UST wear too much make-up sometimes. Don't want to be judgmental or anything but toning it down a bit would actually help. "Less is more" right? And I think most guys do fall prey to those pretty on the outside thing, myself especially is not an exception. My heads have been turned one too many times as well, but a girl who I can't share an actual conversation with is definitely not the girl I'm actually looking for ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! ...but that's the way the cookie crumbles in college :(

    ReplyDelete