20 October 2012

Wild monkey sighting at HKUST!

Taken from a friend's Facebook (Ray).

It finally hit me that not only am I studying in Asia’s World City, one of the most densely populated and frequented financial center of the world, but I am also studying  on a beach-side, semi-tropical campus!

Taken with my iPod!
Night time view from our very own sea port
A lot of international students at HKUST talk about how we take for granted the stunning views we get of the ocean each morning. We're so busy partying up in LKF or, in my case, sticking a nose in a textbook and gorging eyes out in front of a computer screen. Despite the "University of Stress and Tension" accolades, we also overlook Clear Water Bay, a three hour kayak from Sai Kung and a peaceful place to watch the sun rise. 

And in between all the greenery, tropical trees, and plants, nests our little modernized school with a Red Bird (“fire turkey”) right at the center.

The RedBird at night.

The bridge link.

Side-view of the library.

I’d seen bat-sized moths, gigantuous millipedes, amazing green mantises, annoying June bugs, and super-sized fire ants. After talking to some local friends, I found out that these wild monkeys are actually pretty common in the countryside locations of Hong Kong (e.g. Sha Tin) where tourists go to have their food stolen.

I didn’t see the monkey but it was hilarious seeing all the Facebook posts about it. Completely beats out urbanized woodland creatures. B-)


Pictures, unless otherwise stated, are taken from: Ryan Kow Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment