14 February 2012

Futures

It's been a while since I've written.

Life has been a roller-coaster ride these days. Some days are really high and some days are really low. But in general, I'm coasting on a higher plane. I've got a steady income from tutoring and an on-campus job. I'm inspired by the classes I'm taking. I've got friends I can count on, a boyfriend I can trust, and a family that supports me. And I'm healthy.

Right now, I'm faced with a few choices in terms of my career and although I know what I want, I don't seem to know what I need... I have an option of staying in Hong Kong for the summer to take up a drug delivery research position in a lab where there I would probably do work that inspires me. Not to mention, I would have an awesome advisor who could potentially write a killer recommendation letter for me! In addition, staying in Hong Kong for the summer would give me the chance to participate in iGEM, which would also be an opportunity for me to demonstrate creativity and have real experience working in an intercultural team.

Problem? Staying in Hong Kong for the summer is a purely career-driven move, though it would contribute to my 'success' in the future. But it has nothing to do with the people who are important to me in my life who still await me in the United States (eg. my mom, dad, little sisters, and boyfriend). The best reason for me to come back to the states is if I came back for an internship in Cali during the summer so I can boost my chances of finding a biotech job in the future... but again that's career-driven. And I'm still waiting for my chance...

Perhaps there would be a compromise in the future? I hope so. I'm missing my family and life back home immensely. The relationship between my boyfriend and I is already heavily strained due to our long distance and there's still a year and a half left before proximal happiness can aptly be called ours. I wouldn't say I'm tired but I do wish the end of this endeavor would come sooner rather than later!

At this point, the only thing to do is trust that things will work out.
God has His ways and I don't need to be so anxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment