20 September 2010

The Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at HKUST


CBME is getting more internationalized by the year. Although I am a first year student with no Cantonese or Chinese-speaking background, I volunteered to help out during Outreach Day. It was difficult because students kept talking to me in Cantonese. Maybe it's because I look Asian and if you're not careful you'll make a blunder and mistake me for a local. But once I open my mouth to talk, you'll notice my American Western accent and scoff. I kid. But anyway, it was great getting to know a few of the department's faculty... namely acting head, Dr. McKay, professors: Dr. I Ming Hsing, Dr. Barford, and visitng professor: Dr. Carol Lin.

The thing I loved most about this day was explaining the setup for our miniature sample of a microreactor. It was so amazing to see high school students interested in it and listening intently. They were asking questions out of pure intellectual curiosity. Kudos to HK students who want to make a difference in society! I also got a free polo shirt. Hooray for free stuff! I'm proud to be in CBME. <3 In the upcoming years, look for me, I'll be a student ambassador.

Upcoming Post: FAQ

No comments:

Post a Comment